Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Sobering thoughts...

When we started along the process to adopt a child from China, allocations were happening at about 6 months after a file was sent to Beijing.

With an anticipated age of the child at about 12 months at allocation, this meant that we believed our child had been born and was already in a SWI (Social Welfare Institute - Orphanage) waiting for a family.
With the current timeframes being what they are - ie. the latest batch of allocations went to families who had their file in China for about 20 months (ours has been there for almost 14 months) it puts us in an interesting position... we are actually waiting for a child to be abandoned so we can become parents. Over and above this is the fact that when our file went to China - his or her birth parents had not even conceived, and would not have even known what lay ahead for themselves, or their child... our child.

Behind this long and hard wait, behind the yearning to become a mother and behind the pain and reality of facing another Christmas childless... there is child who is yet to be born, and who is yet to be abandoned and yet to be found. And there is a birth mother and father, a birth family... who are yet to face possibly the most difficult decision of their lives.

A sobering thought.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find those thoughts hard to reconcile too. In my heart I hope that the road ahead is not too traumatic. In my head I know it probably will be.

10:48 PM  
Blogger M and M said...

I have had those same thoughts myself. The push pull that I feel is hard as I want a baby, but I feel for the choices the birth parents feel they need to make for my family to be complete.

12:07 AM  
Blogger D & S said...

It's a tough situation for everyone involved. I think of it often too how we're waiting for a child that isn't even conceived yet.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

We only waited six months so we knew our girls had already been born but it is a sobering thought to know that you're waiting for someone to have to make a heart-wrenching decision.

I wish you a speedy referral.

Kristi

11:48 AM  
Blogger OziMum said...

Hmmm. I often think about the poor woman that carries our child, and the heart wrenching decision ahead of her.

Everytime I think I've stopped guessing when she's born, when we'll see her... I succumb and guess again!!!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Napoleon said...

I wish all the best to you guys. I've not been reading long, but I read all the archives. I'm infertile myself but not yet thinking about children. With the waiting lists in China as long as they are... Maybe I should sign up now!

I hope it all happens soon.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is weird when you look at it that way.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

I am right here with you going through the same thing with the same thoughts, it is screal.
Glen

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home