Thursday, September 06, 2007

And now we're at 15 / This wait is hard...

Fifteen months since our file went to China. Who would have thunk it? I certainly thought we would have been and returned by now, and would be getting ready for our first Christmas with Baby Girl.

This wait is hard.

I am finding it harder and harder to go to shopping centres again. When we were doing IVF it took all of my strength to go to the local shopping centre - as it was almost inevitable I would bump into an old school friend who would ask the dreaded question "so when are you two going to have children." When we moved (almost) interstate, not bumping into people at shopping centres was a great relief. The dread is no longer bumping into old school friends, but rather being an observer to 'happy families'.

My latest obsession (when I actually do go to a shopping centre) is looking at little boys, who have blondish, slightly curly hair and green/blue eyes, and wondering, if all had gone to plan and if we had a little boy, would he look like that? In my dreams of having children - the picture was never of me putting pig-tails in a little girl's hair. It was always of seeing Shane playing football with a little boy.

As the wait gets longer and longer for our first child, the old demons of failure, desperation and utter sadness also have time to haunt me again. I don't want to go back to that dark, dark place I was in during IVF, but occasionally I find myself so overwhelmed with grief. Grief for my lost dreams, Shane's lost dreams, our lost dreams.

I do think that (some) people assume that because we are now adopting, the pain, sadness and grief of years of infertility, IVF and pregnancy loss has magically disappeared. For me, not only has it not disappeared, I am still reminded, in some way, every single day of what we don't have, what we have lost, and what we so, so want. Today I couldn't buy the newspaper, as the headline story on the front page was "Triple the fun as city goes baby crazy" (which referred to a story of a woman giving birth to triplets). Who would have thought buying the Saturday paper could be so traumatic?

Don't get me wrong, we are both over the moon about eventually meeting our daughter who will be born half a world away - she is already the absolute love of our lives. And now we are on this path, know this is the way it was always meant to be. But that doesn't make the pain of loss any less.

This wait is hard...

18 Comments:

Blogger D said...

I totally agree. I think that unless you've been through all the IVF stuff and infertility, you really have no idea what it feels like. The pain and sadness does creep back in...often in very unexpected places.

1:07 AM  
Blogger C's Mom said...

I'm sorry the pain is so intense for you right now. Been there and I remember.

3:50 AM  
Blogger OziMum said...

I hear ya. When you are the one pushing your stroller through shopping centres, there's a good chance that someone will be feeling like you are now. I guess the good thing about adoption - is we KNOW, that we WILL have our child.... eventually!

8:35 AM  
Blogger M and M said...

So many people take their fertility for granted.

I am sorry you are going through a rough patch. We are here for you and chances are you will be through your rough patch right around the time someone else is just starting theirs.

Congrats on 15 months - that is nothing to sneeze at!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Blondie said...

Be strong. You are 15 months ahead of where you were when you started. That has to count for something. The wait sucks - I know I am in it but the longer we wait, the closer we are to our babies. :)

Sending hugs your way...

8:35 PM  
Blogger bbmomof2boys said...

Yes, the wait is hard. Some days I don't even thing we are EVER going to get our daughter. Just keeping going!! 15 months is great!! We will it 16 at the end of the month...ugh...just 16 more? maybe?? I think its the not knowing that is hardest...

4:17 AM  
Blogger Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I agree with you Lisa - though I never had problems with IVF... I was adopted and that was something I had my heart set on since I was young... though I could most likely go the other way and have my own, it is like I said... my heart was always 100% on adopting. Though, I will admit that I was wondering of late 'What if I had a bio...', then I would have to do the extra wait thing and I still go back to what it was I always wanted - to adopt... so, yes... in my predicament it is hard to see everyone with their kids. There is a lady locally who really was 'down' on China and the wait and screamed, swore etc that she was pulling out of China(and swears she is going the 'Russian' way... saw her the other day with a SN daughter - from China... I was glad this little girl got a family but mad at this lady who screamed blue murder about China and the wait. I know it is petty but when I see this lady in the store I go and do something else. I am not ready to talk to her after all her 'venting'... I think I was just fed up with her ranting... anyway... sorry for that vent... Hang in there sister... our turns will come... remember... us Aussie are breed tough...lol... I am 'hating' the wait too but refuse to give up...

1:31 AM  
Blogger Napoleon said...

Hang in there, every day is another day closer.

9:31 PM  
Blogger M and M said...

Can't find an e-mail for you...

Can you e-mail me at the address that this comment came from.

Thanks!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

That wait is hard and can be hard but think about the end result... our turns will come and we will forget about this crazy time...

3:08 PM  
Blogger Napoleon said...

Must be 18months now... Is everyone okay? That's quite a mile-stone.

Good luck.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Jen Boote said...

I've checked in for the first time in a while and I, too, feel so sad and hope that you are feeling better. I'd love to hear how the new home is going.... and I sure hope everything is ok??? You've obviously been very quiet since that last post. You're a champion...you're one of the ones that is willing to talk about just how hard it is. Hang in there Lisa. I can truly relate, even though I'm now lucky enough to have my little China sweetheart in my arms. Jen + Ebony - Victoria

2:16 PM  
Blogger Don and Be said...

Lisa & Shane,
Came across an old comment that you left on our blog a long while back and clicked on over to your blog.
The whole 'wait' thing is one of the most difficult thing that we, as a couple, have ever been through in our entire marriage. It is something that we have no control over and we take comfort in each other and the fact that we have a long time to grow closer through it all.
I notice that this last post was made quite a bit ago and by now you are a lot closer. Wishing you peace,
Don

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I check in every now and then. 22 months now, hope all is well.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

I'm worried too. What's up, guys?

If anyone knows Lisa and Shane could you post here to let us know that they're okay?

1:33 PM  
Blogger Lipstick and Hockey Sticks said...

Are there any recent updates? Did you change your blog address? I have been following your journey and it has been about a year since your last posting. I would love to know what is happening and how your house is coming along. With Blessings, Jill

10:57 AM  
Blogger marcy said...

Hi there,
I used to see you now and then on the MSN Adopting from China group and today I was thinking of you and wondering how you're doing. I hope all is well.
Marcy

10:19 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

How are you doing? It's been a loooong time. :)

You're getting closer!

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home