Friday, May 25, 2007

Talking Terminology... "China Doll"

Occasionally people make reference to our (future) daughter as our China Doll. They say things like “I bet you can’t wait to bring home your China Doll.” Or “She’ll be such a China Doll.” And I know people are well meaning when they say this, and I also know they have probably never considered that what they are saying can be offensive to Asian women (generally) and as such this not a term that is (generally) used in the China Adoption community.

Why is ‘China Doll’ such an offensive term? Historically the term China Doll was used to describe Asian prostitutes. The ‘China Doll’ stereotype insinuates that Asian women are hypersexual, submissive, exotic, feminine, and eager to please white males. According to author Sheridan Prasso, the China doll stereotype and other variations of this submissive stereotype exist in American movies: Geisha Girl/Lotus Flower/Servant/China Doll: Submissive, docile, obedient, reverential (including Asian men as effeminate, servile); Vixen/Sex Nymph: Sexy, coquettish, manipulative; tendency toward disloyalty or opportunism; Prostitute/Victim of Sex Trade/War/Oppression: Helpless, in need of assistance or rescue; good-natured at heart (from:
www.answers.com/topic/stereotypes-of-asians).

Using the word ‘doll’ is also a term that objectifies women as an object instead of a human.

I personally don't take offence when people use this term, I know it is generally meant to be a cutesy kinda nickname - and given we haven't shared what our daughter's name will be with many people, sometimes I think they don't really know how to refer to her. But I also think putting this explanation 'out there' is important. As prospective adoptive parents of a child from another country and culture - I feel we have a responsibility to educate not only ourselves but people who will be in our daughter's life.

8 Comments:

Blogger C's Mom said...

Agreed. I know the term is rarely, if ever, used negatively with regard to adoption. It is simply well-meant ignorance about the meaning and education is the cure.

1:56 PM  
Blogger M and M said...

We too have chosen not to share our baby's name to anyone however, we have a nickname (PUMPKIN) so that they have something to reference her by.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well said. Glad I stumbled over today and I just read that baby Lauren could be your babysitter..Lets hope not!
Saying a prayer for you today

11:38 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Wow, I never really thought about it but I get it now. Like CJ mentioned, in adoption terms people mean cute, sweet, etc. I can see how people can easily get the wrong idea!

9:56 AM  
Blogger D & S said...

Great explanation about the terminology. I agree, I think most people aren't aware of the true meaning and it's up to us to explain it to them.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Don and Be said...

Thanks for the "heads up" - I won't be using that term - "ladybug" should do.

Adoption lingo & questions can also raise eyebrows.
Is she your 'natural child'? - Well, I don't believe there is anything unnatural about her.
Does she 'belong' to you? - Well, she doesn't belong to anyone else.

As I continue with this unending wait for referral, I believe that I'm becoming increasingly tolerant of misused terminology - especially as a prospective stay-at-home dad and that 'Mr Mom' thing - and I'm enlightened now as to the misused 'China Doll'. I won't be using it again.

10:35 AM  
Blogger OziMum said...

I didn't know the history behind the term! The term doesn't bother me; I've referred to friend's (bio) kids as being dolls, so thought China Doll would kinda fit our little angel, coz she'll be from China!!! But now I know what it originally meant.... hmmm...
I'm not so sure!
Lee-Anne
Adelaide

7:34 PM  
Blogger Valcael said...

I think it's right to education people in the history of phrases used, I came across your blog researching a character from the past known as China Doll who was indeed a prostitute however her ethnic origins I have yet to find out. I wish all the bext in the future...

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home